Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

I've Been Given a Gift

October 28, 2010
Can I just say how tired I am of looking at this computer screen! I mean, I have worked 13+ hour days this week preparing for an upcoming workshop I am presenting in Houston, TX at the Conference for the Advancement of Science Teaching. I am so excited, but when my boss moved the deadline for the final product up to tomorrow (Friday), and she did so on Tuesday at 8:30 PM, I got a little overwhelmed. In addition to getting a virus over the weekend and spending 3 hours at IT, then coming home to over 100 emails in 1 of 4 inboxes didn’t feel so good. For the record, I am not a fan of Windows Vista. Seriously, NOTHING BUT ISSUES!
Regardless of the process, I completed my write-ups and, if I may say so, they are good! I am really proud of them and think it will be a great presentation. It was annoying to have to do them this week on top of other expectations, but it is nice to not have to worry about it anymore.
What I cannot figure out is this strange energy I have. I haven’t been this out of shape in forever, I can’t sleep through the night, I’m eating junk constantly, and I’m stressed! Yet, I accomplished everything and I’m still awake at midnight. My alarm is set for 6:00 AM, and I WILL BE EXERCISING! Mark My Words! I have come to the conclusion that it is because I am finally, after all this time, doing what I’ve dreamed of doing…teaching in a classroom. I am with 2nd graders every day. My goal is to always do my best, model my expectations, and make an impact daily. Each day presents a new challenge, and I meet it with a smile. Tonight, the organization I am President of hosted a Spooky Science Night for 5th Graders. I’ll admit, I did not have the best attitude when we were planning this event. It was one more thing on the calendar with multiple expectations attached. But, I left that school feeling complete. I mean, that is what I dreamed of when I dreamed of making a difference in the teaching profession. The excitement on the faces of those children is stamped on my heart forever. I will remember it when I feel inadequate or uninspired.
You see, I get overwhelmed and frustrated just like everyone else. But, I realize that I have been given a gift, multiple gifts, in fact. I am thankful for the opportunities to use my gifts and I am not called to sit on the sidelines. I know I am making a difference and making my Heavenly Father proud. And when it is all said and done, that is all that matters.
So, what is your gift? What are you going to do with it? I guarantee it will make a difference and warm your heart. We all need a little heart-warming now and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment