Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

This past week was a roller coaster ride of emotions. I think I experienced every possible emotion, except for tears...which shouldn't surprise anyone!I LOVE my job...which also shouldn't shock anyone. I don't think I've ever spent my time doing something I didn't love. I wake up before my alarm and lay awake at night thinking about all the possibilities for tomorrow. Yes, I know, that won't last long. But, for now, I am all fired up!

First Day of my teaching career!
However, I have had things on my mind besides school. As usual, I over analyze everything and don't know how to turn my mind off. I met up with an old friend this week to catch up on life. We both had tons to say. We were talking about plans, big goals for the future. Mine didn't at all surprise this person. The only thing that surprised them was that I hadn't acted on those plans yet. I had a laundry list of reasons why I hadn't. Yet, every one I mentioned, they fired back a counter excuse. 



I changed the subject, but I've been thinking about it quite a bit since. Not so much that excuse, but the whole slew of them I create on a regular basis. Today, I admitted to myself I am a master excuse maker and excuse taker. Not only do I make them for myself, but for others, too. I'm forever extending the benefit of the doubt and wearing myself out trying to be the 'be all' for everyone else. And, for what purpose? What do I get out of those excuses? A feeling of authority over myself coupled with a disappointment later. Not worth it. 


My mini goal for this week is to leave the excuses at home when I leave in the morning. I will take on every situation in stride, and encourage others to do the same. Life is full of opportunities for happiness, we just have to be willing to take them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment