Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Research Begins

Today I began my wine research with Rachel. She is researching the removal of the proteins in white wines using phytic acid compared to the commercial use of bentonite. It is so cool! Basically I get to play until I graduate! I have only been in a real lab for my basic science classes at Tech. Those lab experiences were pretty much a joke. I took chemistry last semester and it is rewarding to actually use that knowledge. It's a good thing I know the basics because this research is fairly advanced. I am also learning about publishing. That is something that terrifies me! I don't like writing papers, especially academic ones. But, seriously, how cool would it be to publish a paper as an undergraduate????
Ok, so ready for the coolest part?!
Well, I met the Phd in charge of all this research. First of all, he teaches this class about wines of the world and the lab is basically an educational wine tasting. Don't worry, I WILL be taking this class and I get to assist with setting up the labs. BUT, he also wants me to do my OWN research project and publish my own paper!!! I didn't have the heart to tell him that research terrifies me and I have next to no idea what Rachel is doing, much less what my own research would be. I could see the wheels turning in his head though...he is going to make this happen. So, the elementary teacher might possibly graduate with a EC-6 generalist, 4-8 math and science, and ESL certification along with a published research paper in a legit science journal.
Watch out world, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment